Partners In Design

6.18.2007

Book Jacket Design

While visiting my granparents for Father's Day this sunday, I was roped in to do a project for my Grandfather, who has been a published author for many years now. He's coming out with his 3rd book this year, a book about the Geneology of the American families to date. It's a book that will be published and distributed in Spain.

He showed me the first jacket cover, and i nearly exploded. It was one of the worst designs i'd ever seen in my life. So naturally, my word vomit turned into an offer to re-design it for him. Last night i started working on it and after a couple of hours, i hit a wall and crashed with my creativity. Thanks to Shal, I was able to salvage any dignity left and come up with an entirely new concept.

Although it still has some tweaking to undergo here and there, this is basically what the finished product will look like:

7 comments:

Alexandra said...

Wow Laz, I really like it! I really like the tree sprouting from the heart illustration, it ties in really well to the subject.

Paul said...

I like it! Is the text a font or handwritten? It looks good.

Laz said...

The text is a font, that i went in (thanks to shal's suggestion) and edited to have a little more fluidity.
Thanks a lot Paul, means a lot.

Shalimar said...

if the tree doesnt work out for this, save this illustration for something because its assome.

Ernesto said...

deep. I like how the heart is carried throughout up to the leaves.

Laz said...

Yea, it sucks my grandfather is old and doesn't understand design.. wah wah wah.. but i am gonna save it for a rainy day.

Jarold Guzman said...

that is completely different than your usual stuff. i think it's really great and it shows that you have a wide repituare(if thats how u spell that lol)